Friday, March 26, 2010

Leo Rondeau, or How to Never Be Alone on a Monday Night Again

I moseyed down to the Hole in the Wall on Monday night to catch Leo Rondeau, because that's what you do when someone like Leo is playing—FOR FREE—at your favorite place to drink frosty, delicious beers. Ever seen Leo play? If you have, you know what it means when someone describes a singer with heart, a singer with talent, and a singer with kick-ass songs. Not to mention, Leo's just a super-cool dude.

I got there early and was pleasantly surprised to find these guys playing:




Yep, Darren Hoff and the Hard Times, in all their jean-jacketed glory. Apparently it was the "Bye-Bye Tourists Spectacular." Good times. Darren kept telling the crowd how much he was looking forward to SxSw. Apparently, being a large man with a telecaster and a beard can lead to insanity. Great.

I also ran into this cat:



That's Mike Harmeier of Mike and the Moonpies, one of the hardest-working bands in Austin. Fifteen shows in seven days? Wow. Intense. Keep it up, Mike!

I grabbed Leo and pulled him outside so I could glean some of his higher mind power and use it for my own selfish means. I was, sadly, unable to turn invisible or time travel after our short little interview, but my conviction that a movie about Townes Van Zandt needs to be made simply so Leo can play the man was seriously strengthened.



If you haven't been down to the Hole on a Monday to see this guy, please, please, please put down the remote, the iPod, the collection of magic nose goblins, whatever it is that's holding your attention, and wander on in for some killer tunes, delectable libations, and some BOMB Tacos. No, seriously, they make the tacos out of napalm. Not really. Maybe.

Apparently, my computer, or my blog site, or my guardian angel, doesn't want you to see the video I took of Leo actually performing, as it's taking like 76 hours to upload... So... you'll have to go to the Hole in the Wall yourself this Monday at midnight to see him. In the immortal words of one of my fave Austin bands, the Happen-Ins, DO IT! Hell, show up at 8 and get yo drink on.

When you do see Leo, or Mike and the Moonpies, or Darren Hoff and the Hard Times, you'll see (and hear) that these guys are just keepin' it real. 'Cause they're keepin' it real. Just like Murray in Clueless. You do the same.



See ya at the bar.

1 comment:

  1. It is now $3 to get in on Monday but we've added three more songs so you won't feel cheated. Leo

    ReplyDelete